Monday, 16 May 2011

5K Race

Let me begin to say, that three weeks before we ran this race...I hated running. I always wanted to be a "runner" ....I think runners look cool. After the purchase of Nike Frees and much encouragement from my good friend Melissa here (who is an ultra runner), I have taken on the challenge to run. I don't love it yet, but I do find that I crave it. I figure that's a good start. After I started running, I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for my first race...something that would keep me accountable and give me a time frame. I was a little nervous because I signed up for a 5K that was three weeks away. After two weeks of training though, I was running more than 5K. Johnny has been running as well. At first I was convinced he saw it as a challenge to compete with me. I enjoyed the fact that he was pushing himself, but became frustrated whenever we ran together because it felt like he was showing me that he was better than me. (like my accomplishment of where I was at still wasn't good enough). It was an internal struggle that I think paralleled how I've been feeling with my nursing studies and other aspects of life right now. I have been working on remembering what race "I am" running. 
Race day came, and with much excitement Johnny and I ran together and enjoyed the energizing environment. It was a Marathon raising money towards children with cancer. What kept me running hard was the continued stream of prayers in my heart for all the children (and adults) who are diagnosed with cancer each day and the fight that they face. Running doesn't seem so hard anymore...in fact it now feels like a blessing and a gift.




5 comments:

  1. (not a great picture...taken on our phone, and the sun was extremely blinding to my sensitive blue eyes :) but I was happy none the less)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, now I still hate running and look at you...a RUNNER... as looking so cool. :-) Is that all it takes is buying Nike Frees and a little encouragement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I wanted to buy a whole new outfit for the race, but J put it into perspective for me...trust me...it was an issue the night before about what I was going to wear...and it ended up I just threw something on and ran out the door!
    Honestly, I am a believer in minimalist shoes. I know they aren't what has made me a runner but I believe they do help...I feel like I "pound" so much less...less impact on my body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! I'm so glad you've started running. And you look very cool ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! I'm also one of those people who really really wants to be a runner, but still hates it when I actually do it. You inspire me to try again. Wanna come be my running partner?? :)

    ReplyDelete